Wednesday, July 1, 2009

...of an old jewelry box.

Getting read for bed, I glanced into my closet to find a shrine to Josh Hartnett (siiighhhh...what ever happened to him? I still remember trying to track him down in Minneapolis when I was no older than 14!) I took a quick twitpic of the shrine to show my fellow tweeters what a nerd I am and that's when I saw it: my broken down jewelry box. Mom and Dad gave it to me for my 18th birthday and, planted inside of one of the drawers, was a pair of diamond earrings from my dad. To this day, my 18th birthday remains my favorite.

Somehow my mom managed to strategically place the jewelry box on the shelf of my closet forever. It was like the box was stuck there with crazy glue. After a few of the drawers bonked me in the head, I finally plopped it on my dresser. Nothing appeared to be in the box at first. The first three drawers were completely empty (or perhaps they were full until I dropped them on my head while finagling the box out of the closet...). But the side cabinet did not fail me - it had some fantastic high school earrings and necklaces in its grips. One of the necklaces even appears on my neck in my senior pictures.

Then I ventured onto the bottom drawer. More treasures! Two dime-sized earrings sat side-by-side. They were both for my top ear piercing (in my left ear). Both infected my ear terribly, but I insisted on wearing them constantly. Well, only until my classmates claimed I had cauliflower ear and forced me to see a doctor. I guess my ear was badly infected - who would have guessed?

The next drawer had an unused pair of prom earrings (big fake diamonds surrounding some sort of cheap black jewel), a slider charm bracelet thing (please tell me you remember those! They were the shit back in '04! Instead of being all dangly like a real charm bracelet, the charms were attached to little silver plates-like things which slid nicely into a uniform bracet), and my class ring!! Eeeek!

As I glance down at my class ring, memories fly back to me. Sports, band, the back seat of a 1998 Chrysler Sebring convertible.... I don't think I ever even wore the ring in high school. In fact, I believe we were forced to order them sophomore year. What the heck were the Josten's people thinking? We were required to put our graduation year around the centerpiece, but did they take in account the people who got held back a grade and couldn't graduate in time? I, fortunately, was not one of them, so I will wear the ring around for tonight and place it back in it's tiny little box in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment