Wednesday, July 8, 2009

...of the employed.

I know people are looking for jobs. I'm not ignorant. Recently, a girl in the office said that her friend got a job at Red Robin and supposedly Red Robin receives over 40 applications per day. People are that desperate for jobs.

I have a job. Sure, I'm a student at UNL, but I've also been working for the Athletic Department for four years now and I'm going on my fifth year. I've also held other jobs in college as well. The summer of 2006, I worked 8-4 at one job and 4:30-10 at another. I had no life. And for some reason, I have no money to show for it. Even though I'm not near as busy as I was in 2006, I still wish I could have a break. Somedays, when I think about going to work, I feel like a cartoon character. Literally, I'm just like Wile E. Coyote trying to escape the Road Runner's tricks. You know how Wile E. sometimes sees a terrible mess up ahead (like some TNT ready to blow up in his face), yet he can't stop himself from running into it. That's what I'm like. I have my throttle down and I'm full spead ahead toward work, but I decide last minute to hit the breaks. I don't want to go in. I can see myself kicking up the dust. Screaming and kicking.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I don't enjoy work. Really, I have it pretty easy. I'm in air conditioning. I have great co-workers. I work in fricking Memorial Stadium for Christ's sake. But there's part of me who just wants to be that normal summer student who works as a lifeguard or at a summer camp. I've never had that chance. Oh well...better than being unemployed.

No comments:

Post a Comment